Friday, June 1, 2007

Lions Mane


To remind myself of next time I go to the hairdresser:

- I do not like to look like a lion
- I do not like layers
- I do not like hair in between lengths

Whenever my hair starts to look really disgusting, I drag myself to the hairdresser, anxious about the visit days in advance. I just know that I'll go straight home and cry. And yet, I really need to get those split ends cut off. I always start by saying "Please don't cut off everything. Really just the ends. Really just what you really really really have to." I guess it's the last part that gets me in trouble. That and my need to blurt out compliments to the person cutting my hair. I told this one that I liked her cut (on her) and she replied that it's such an easy cut. Just a few layers at the ends. "Would you want me to do that on you?" she asked me. I hesitated, but seeing the pity in her eyes when thinking about how unmodern I look with my long hair, I said that she could maybe do just a few.

And here I am. One hour into my new lion's haircut. Shoulder short and big and blond. I cried for 15 minutes trying to tie all those layers into my regular bun.

I know this is a minor crisis compared to the bigger one "What should I do with my life?" or even "How are we going to stop climate change and world famine?" But those are just too big to even glance at. I'm focusing on this one for the moment.

Maybe I'll flip through some fashion magazines to try to find a haircut that looks like this. To imitate. But then again, it's very likely to be found in the 'before' section in a make-over article. Usually not a source of inspiration.

No comments: