Friday, June 1, 2007

Cinderella


Yesterday was another day in the second Paul Smizz store. The anorexic boss had sent me to this one instead to work. I wonder if it's a punishment. And although I complained about all those people trying stuff on and buying key rings in the first one, I now miss that. This second store is located 1 minute from the city centre and yet the Aixois think it's too far away..(the effects of living in a small city) so there aren't any customers. The best moment of the day is when I get to vacuum. It takes an hour. I consider it being the sport of the day while thinking about the good old times at the other store, sorry, boutique. D. the boss, used to send me down to the basement to clean some wiping towels and as I stood there cleaning and drying, she used to shout "Daaaaanielllla" and I answered "I'm coming, I'm coming". It always made me laugh (quietly of course) because it was like we were playing a bad version of Cinderella.

Anyway. Today I am phoning up the boss of one of my ex-colleagues at Airbus. It's a complicated story. E. my ex-colleague works at Airbus but is a subcontractor for a company based in Paris that has offices in Marseille. I thought that maybe that person could be good to contact.. Is this starting to get messy or am I just being a good job hunter? Head hunting? Where do you find those by the way?

Yesterday, I also went to the American club in Aix. I thought that maybe they would have some tips about finding work here, or at least some contacts in companies. Turns out, I am drawn to old people. I came to this little café with CVs in my hand ready to charm all those Americans. Having been here a while now and still kind of friendless, I also felt like Sally Field in "Not Without My Daughter" when she sees the American flag at the American Embassy in Teheran. I was going to be rescued! I stepped into the café and discovered 20 people with an average age of 65. But just like with the book club, I told myself not to judge too fast. I should have. Turns out the president of the American club, a fat woman dressed entirely in pink, didn't even want to take my CV. She told me that if I want to become a member, there is a waiting list I could get on. Yes. Of course. Thank you very much. I would kill to get on a waiting list to be able to engage with these retired oldies. So I turned around and left after having spoken to the only interesting woman there. A Spanish teacher who would want to learn English. She adviced me to go to yet another club called "Association of France's cities" They have as a mission to welcome foreigners.. Hahaha. The French! Welcoming foreigners!
But I'll still go..

No comments: