Wednesday, August 29, 2007

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE




At lunch today, I was telling my colleagues about the air hostess at Virgin Atlantic.
The one who screamed 'WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE' over the loud speaker.

I made them laugh their heads off.

That got me very smug and I continued the performance by laughing just enough myself to make them think that I'm always this funny - that it's part of my personality. I also did a little mimic.

I am still laughing at the poor lady, still smug and still incredibly proud over my little gag.

But also wondering how she managed to, in a panic state, locate the interphone, push the button, and then blurt out that information.

Then it struck me that I probably didn't have my facts right. Because, really, how could she have? Sweating, I looked the event up on the internet and realised with horror that I was right about myself. She didn't scream over the interphone. She just screamed every time there was turbulence and there were only a couple of passengers next to her who heard it. Neither did she say "We're all gonna die" but a lot more boring "We're gonna crash". That's not nearly as funny as my version.

Now I keep thinking about how all my colleagues look it up on the internet, realise I was wrong, and then start to send emails to eachother with the actual article, discussing what a pathetic attention-seeker I am, distorting facts to make them laugh.

I am torn in between putting up a casual note by the lunch table, explaining the real facts and just leaving the joke as it is, hoping that no one doubts the veracity. It's like the battle of consciences. One part of me wants to prevent my poor self from evil things said behind my back. The other one just want to continue riding on the glory of being considered as a fantastic joke-teller.

3 comments:

Andy Channelle said...

Didn't you study journalism? A key point is: never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Counts in jokes too. If anyone mentions it, say it was just what you read, then say under your breath, but loud enough for everyone to hear, "Stupid English papers!" and everyone will be happy once more.
How's the job hunting going? (if this is an appropriate place to ask).

Dannie said...

Andy, you're absolutely right. How could I forget? Thankfully I haven't seen any mean e-mails sneaking by. If I do, I'll keep your advice close by.Yes, jobhunting. Well I'm doing an internship. Interesting but very badly paid. I'll soon be needing some money so I have to get started again. You don't happen to have met any people susceptible to give me an interesting and well paid job when you were in France, did you?

Andy Channelle said...

Unfortunately I didn't. Mostly spoke to people who sold computer games, pizzas and wine (it was a holiday after all). Have you not thought about teaching?
I'm sure you could do something in journalism studies, or even journalism. Doesn't some Swedish newspaper need a correspondent in Aix?